My travel destinations over the last year

This application is created by interactive maps.
You can also have your visited countries map on your site.

If you see this message, you need to upgrade your flash player.

Saturday, August 21, 2010

Filipino Religion

I flew from Hong Kong to Cebu airport in the Philippines and I knew from the flight that I was in for a treat. In addition to all the “western” men with Filipino women there were also quite a few missionaries onboard the plane. The Philippines is predominately Christian unlike the other countries I have been to which have been predominately Muslim, Hindu, or Buddhist.

I had taken a ferry from one island to another and just before we left the dock a prayer was broadcast over the loudspeaker blessing our journey. Another time I was in an extremely crowded supermarket and at 6pm a prayer was broadcast over the loudspeaker and everybody in the entire store stopped for about 5 minutes to bow their heads in prayer. It was the oddest thing and I felt a little naughty for continuing my shopping while this was going on.

No comments:

Post a Comment