My travel destinations over the last year

This application is created by interactive maps.
You can also have your visited countries map on your site.

If you see this message, you need to upgrade your flash player.

Friday, June 24, 2011

All Good Things Must End…

It's not the things you do that you regret, 
it's the things you don’t do...

...after exploring 17 countries over the last 14 months this amazing journey of mine has come to an end!

During this past year I have come to realize that the way to live life is to create memories because in the end that’s all we really have. When I think back over the last 5 years or so I can only recall a few major events that happened to me. Whereas this past year I remember almost every single day, be it the good times, the frustrating times, the boring times, or the absolutely amazing times.

I know that many people have wondered how I could financially afford to take a year off and travel. I can’t say that it was always easy, especially during those times when my bank account said I only had $30 to my name and my credit cards were maxed out. But with a few generous loans from friends and family I was able to keep traveling.

In the end I spent a total of $23,000 over 14 months. Traveling on such a tight budget I learned a lot about what mattered to me. Was it worth it to spend $4 on a Starbucks coffee when I could spend the night in a hostel in China for that same amount? Typically no, but occasionally I'd splurge on a coffee!

Thanks to all of you who have followed me on this epic adventure. And to all the amazing people I encountered along the way, it's been a real pleasure!

Until the next adventure (hopefully Central & South America)...

No comments:

Post a Comment