My travel destinations over the last year

This application is created by interactive maps.
You can also have your visited countries map on your site.

If you see this message, you need to upgrade your flash player.

Thursday, March 10, 2011

Back on Land

Four months on the boat was a long time with too little physical activity.  After walking around Singapore and waking up the following day with sore leg muscles I knew I needed to spend some time getting back into shape before attempting to trek Nepal for 7 days at an altitude of 16,000 feet.  So I headed over to the more budget friendly Kuala Lumpur and made it my mission to search out a gym that would do weekly memberships.  After visiting many fitness centers with no such luck I settled on paying for an entire month… but it was worth it.

For the next 18 days I had a fantastic time in Kuala Lumpur.  I stayed in 3 different hostels, met loads of tourists (it’s amazing how friendly people become when you ask the simple question of “where are you from”); worked out daily next to 2 young German actors/stunt men filming a movie in Kuala Lumpur; tried to get use to the image of countless veiled Muslim women walking around covered from head to toe in black with only their eyes showing; was greeted every morning by a man with a scooter literally covered with numerous well behaved cats and a very naughty monkey; learned a few necessary Chinese words from the friendly lady running the hostel who also loved to feed me Malaysian fruits in the morning since she knew I was not a fan of the “free breakfast” of bread and butter; and enjoyed the daily ear piercing thunderstorms and less so the Malaysian singers attempting to sing American pop songs.

No comments:

Post a Comment