My travel destinations over the last year

This application is created by interactive maps.
You can also have your visited countries map on your site.

If you see this message, you need to upgrade your flash player.

Saturday, April 24, 2010

Home Sweet Home

After days of endless searching I have just signed a lease on an apartment I will call home for the next 2 months (maybe longer).  There are actually quite a few long term rentals to be had on the island but not many within my price range had my 3 main requirements: air conditioning (a must during the hot season), wireless internet, and a kitchen.

The rentals that were about $300/mo had no air-con and the kitchen consisted of a tiny refrigerator and a microwave.  Acceptable to some but not me.

The rentals in the $400-$500/mo range had my 3 requirements but were far from anything meaning I would have to rent a motorbike in order to get anywhere.  It’s common knowledge that Koh Samui has some of the worst drivers anywhere.

The place I ended up renting is in the $600/mo range which is much more than I wanted to spend.  I actually spent the night rationalizing spending this much when I could spend half that amount (and likely suffer from heat exhaustion).  The next day there was an email from my friend Jimmie (who knows Koh Samui like the back of his hand) and without even asking his advice he said that I should settle down in the Bophut area of Koh Samui which is exactly where this place happens to be (and very close to the beach).  I smiled at that coincidence, contacted the owner, and signed a lease.  I move in on Monday.

5 comments:

  1. OH, I want to live there....I love your apartment choice, and I also would rationalize any way I could to get it!! :) You are going to have a great place to entertain, so I am guessing you want all your bloggies to come for a month or two!
    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats on your new home James! So exciting!! My rent in LA for just a bedroom will be 650/month :(
    Miss you oodles!
    WOZ

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your place looks so beautiful! Wish I could surf your couch! Hugs!

    Miss you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cool airport! And nice place! That doesn't suck...seems a bit western for your taste. ;) The town looks cute too! I am sure you will be happy there.
    Tiff

    ReplyDelete
  5. More pictures Jamie!!!

    John

    ReplyDelete